Energy Systems Specialization
Advancing sustainable energy systems, solutions, and their applications
Greater global demand for energy is forcing us to rethink how we use our resources for the greater good. We need sustainable and renewable sources to provide energy for a growing population.
You will learn how and what kind of energy is used within a system and its cost. That system could be a manufacturer, a campus of buildings, or a farm.
You'll also learn how to identify alternatives to current energy needs. Can efficiency be improved through optimization or upgrades to operations to reduce the demand for energy? Could the required energy demand be met with sustainable sources from renewable energy sources?
- View a sample energy systems 4-year plan
- Take courses and electives taught by internationally-recognized faculty
Minors and certificate
- Minors that complement energy systems would be construction management, housing and community development, sustainability studies, or corporate environmental management
- Consider the Technical Communication Certificate
Research opportunities with our faculty
We have an active research faculty, and some may have opportunities for you to work on a project.
As a student with a specialization in energy systems, you may want to consider the following research area within our department:
- Biomass Conversion and Utilization
- Building Systems
- Environmental Management and Sustainable Systems
- Renewable Energy
Explore more research opportunities
Admission and degree
You can apply for admission to the University of Minnesota College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences.
You will graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Sustainable Systems Management with a specialization in energy systems, which will appear on your official transcript.
Learn more about careers in energy systems and see a sample list of employers.
If you have questions, would like to meet faculty, or tour our labs, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact our SSM major coordinators: