The Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering discovers and teaches solutions for the sustainable use of renewable resources and the enhancement of the environment.
Undergraduate and graduate degree programs
Our undergraduate programs are for people who want to understand the ins and outs of sustainability — and then do something about it. It’s for pragmatists — students who like to see the big picture, understand everything at play, and take action to make a real impact.
BBE and SSM degrees bring together science, engineering, business and technology to prepare students to solve real-world problems. Our graduates enter the workforce with an understanding of the interconnected systems that impact everything from renewable energy to food security and environmental protection so they can advance and engineer a more sustainable future.
- Jointly affiliated with the University of Minnesota College of Science and Engineering and the College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences
- Our engineering program is accredited under the Biological Engineering criteria of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology
- Our Environmental and Ecological Engineering Specialization is aligned with Certified Ecological Restoration Practitioner-in-training program (CERPIT).
By the numbers: Students and faculty
- 223 total undergraduate students in Fall 2022
- 122 students studying Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering (BBE)
- 72 students studying Sustainable Systems Management (SSM)
- Internationally renowned faculty with science and engineering background addressing various complex challenges related to bioproducts and biosystems science and engineering and sustainable systems management
- More than 30 core faculty
- About 20 adjunct faculty
- See faculty directory
We discover innovative solutions to address challenges in the sustainable production and consumption of food, feed, fiber, materials, and chemicals while enhancing the environment.
Our research is focused on eight key areas:
- Air Quality and Agricultural Systems
- Bioengineering, Biotechnology, Bioprocessing
- Biomass Utilization and Conversion
- Building Systems
- Environmental Management and Sustainable Systems
- Land and Water Resources
- Renewable Energy
Extension and Outreach
We are committed to making a public impact through community engagement and extension efforts. We develop and deliver high quality, regionally and nationally-recognized research-based programs to meet current and emerging needs of industry and communities.
We have a long-standing tradition of close partnerships with alumni, industry professionals, organizations, government agencies, donors, and community members. The Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering Advisory Council provides counsel and support to the department and employment opportunities to our students and graduates.
Department Newsletter: BioBriEf
Stay up to date on BBE news and stories. Check out and subscribe to our quarterly department newsletter!