The Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering discovers and teaches solutions for the sustainable use of renewable resources and the enhancement of the environment.
Undergraduate and graduate degree programs
The Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering integrates engineering, science, technology, and management into all degree programs taught by internationally recognized faculty. We were one of the first departments in the country to embrace a broader bioproducts and biosystems education and research mission.
- Jointly affiliated with the University of Minnesota College of Science and Engineering and the College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences
- Our engineering program is accredited under the Biological Engineering criteria of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology
By the numbers: Students and faculty
- 223 total undergraduate students in Fall 2021
- 135 students studying Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering (BBE)
- 88 students studying Sustainable Systems Management (SSM)
- Internationally renowned faculty with science and engineering background addressing various complex challenges related to bioproducts and biosystems science and engineering and sustainable systems management
- More than 30 core faculty
- About 20 adjunct faculty
- See faculty directory
We discover innovative solutions to address challenges in the sustainable production and consumption of food, feed, fiber, materials, and chemicals while enhancing the environment.
Our research is focused on eight key areas:
- Air Quality and Agricultural Systems
- Bioengineering, Biotechnology, Bioprocessing
- Biomass Utilization and Conversion
- Building Systems
- Environmental Management and Sustainable Systems
- Land and Water Resources
- Renewable Energy
Extension and Outreach
We are committed to making a public impact through community engagement and extension efforts. We develop and deliver high quality, regionally and nationally-recognized research-based programs to meet current and emerging needs of industry and communities.
We have a long-standing tradition of close partnerships with alumni, industry professionals, organizations, government agencies, donors, and community members. The Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering Advisory Council provides counsel and support to the department and employment opportunities to our students and graduates.
Department Newsletter: BioBriEf
Stay up to date on BBE news and stories. Check out and subscribe to our quarterly department newsletter!
100 Years of history
The Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering proudly celebrated its 100th year in 2009. Our rich history can trace its roots to agricultural engineering and forest products.