Each year, the Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering awards scholarships to students enrolled in or are preparing to transfer into our programs. Eligible students could receive an Academic Achievement Award ($2,000 per year) or an Academic Leadership Award ($3,000 per year) for a maximum of 4 years (8 semesters). Scholarship payments are divided in equal amounts for the two semesters of the academic year.
In addition to department scholarships, students may be eligible for college, University or external awards.
Criteria and Applications
Scholarship Policies and Guidelines
In order to maintain a scholarship, all recipients must:
- Be actively pursuing one of the degree programs in the Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering. Learn more about the department's undergraduate programs.
- Enroll in a minimum of 13 academic credits
- Enroll in at least one BBE-designated class toward your degree per semester or obtain an exemption signed by your departmental/major coordinator
- Successfully complete a minimum of 13 academic credits the previous semester
- Successfully Complete at least one BBE-designated class toward your degree the previous semester or obtain an exemption signed by your departmental/major coordinator
- Maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 out of 4.0. Summer school does not count as a full semester. Only courses from the University of Minnesota will be used in calculating the grade point average.
- Write an appropriate letter of appreciation to the scholarship sponsor or representative.
- Attend the annual scholarship luncheon
- Participate in other scholarship recognition functions as requested
Failure to meet these guidelines will result in discontinuation of your scholarship. The scholarships criteria are used as general guidelines and all scholarship awards are granted under the discretion of the scholarship committee. Scholarship award amounts and duration are subjected to the availability of funds.
Contact Marlee Schlief, BBE Student Services & External Relations Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-624-9603.