Scholarships for BBE & SSM Students
Scholarships are awarded to students enrolled in our Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering major and our Sustainable Systems Management major based on academic achievement, financial need, special talents, interests, or other criteria defined by the scholarship donor. We award scholarships to undergraduate students enrolled in our programs each year. Eligible students include current students, transfer students, and new freshmen students.
Eligible students could receive the department scholarship award of up to $3,000 per year for a maximum of 4 years (8 semesters).
Scholarship payments are divided in equal amounts for the two semesters of the academic year.
In addition, students may be eligible for college, university, or external awards.
Application process for current and transfer students
Applications for department awards are reviewed during the spring semester each year. Eligibility will be confirmed at the beginning of each semester.
- Fill out the online 2021-2022 BBE and SSM Scholarship Application Form
- Deadline for continuing students: April 12th, 2021
- Deadline for transfer students: One day before the first day of the semester
Please note: Financial or scholarship offers made at the university and/or college level(s) are taken into consideration when decisions for departmental scholarships are made.
Not yet enrolled in our programs?
You must have proof that you enrolled in one of the department's degree programs by the first day of classes of the semester for which you are applying for the scholarship. If admittance into the department is not granted for the following semester, the scholarship will be suspended.
Criteria and application process for new freshmen students
Entering freshmen students apply for scholarships in conjunction with their application for admissions. The deadline is mid-December.
Scholarship policies and guidelines
In order to maintain a scholarship, all recipients must:
- Be actively pursuing one of the undergraduate degree programs in the Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering.
- Enroll in a minimum of 13 academic credits.
- Enroll in at least one department-designated class toward your degree per semester or obtain an exemption signed by your departmental or major coordinator.
- Successfully complete a minimum of 13 academic credits the previous semester.
- Successfully complete at least one department-designated class toward your degree the previous semester or obtain an exemption signed by your major coordinator
- Maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.25 out of 4.0. Summer school does not count as a full semester. Only courses from the University of Minnesota will be used in calculating the grade point average.
- Write an appropriate letter of appreciation to the scholarship sponsor or representative.
- Attend the annual department scholarship luncheon.
- Participate in other scholarship recognition functions as requested.
Failure to meet these guidelines will result in discontinuation of your scholarship. The scholarship criteria are used as general guidelines, and all scholarship awards are granted under the discretion of the scholarship committee. Scholarship award amounts and duration are subjected to the availability of funds.
For more information, please email Erik Joerres at firstname.lastname@example.org.