Program educational objectives
Graduates of the Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering program are expected, within a few years of graduation, to:
- Serve the engineering needs of clientele in the areas of bioproducts, bioprocessing and food, or environment and ecosystems by developing innovative and effective solutions.
- Be successfully employed in engineering jobs in industry, consulting, government, or academia and advancing in their chosen field
- Continue to be engaged in professional development and lifelong learning throughout their careers.
- Display traits of an engineering professional while contributing to teams, providing leadership, and being ethically responsible.
Student outcomes describe what students will be able to do at the time of graduation. We have adopted the standard ABET 1 through 7 outcomes.
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
The bioproducts and biosystems engineering program is ABET accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.