NorthernSTAR Building America Partnership
The NorthernSTAR Building America Partnership, led by the University of Minnesota, is one of ten national teams selected by the Department of Energy (DOE). The DOE Building America program works to accelerate the development and adoption of advanced energy technologies in new and existing homes. Building America is designed “to stimulate the home building and remodeling market through research and technical support to increase efficiency gains, facilitate more rapid deployment, and reduce the cost of energy measures.” This team's energy savings goals are simply:
- 30% of current energy use for retrofit
- 50% of IECC 2009 for new construction.
The NorthernSTAR team employs a comprehensive and integrated approach to address these challenges and produce truly transformative results. All three primary areas of focus must be addressed in order to create meaningful change within the marketplace. These are the house system, the delivery system, and the market/user interface.
Our research: Building studless houses
We're building studless houses with the aim of increased energy efficiency, airtightness, and construction quality as compared to typical wall construction methods. Learn more about our studless wall research project
- Lead: University of Minnesota
- Building Knowledge, Inc.
- Center for Energy and Environment
- Center for Sustainable Building Research
- Energy Center of Wisconsin
- Institute on the Environment/IREE
- University of Minnesota Extension
- Building Green
- Conservation Technologies
- McGregor Pearce
- Simply Green
- Wagner Zaun Architecture
- More than 20 product manufacturers, suppliers, builders and remodelers
Foundation Insulation Systems
- Exterior "excavationless" foundation insulation.
- Innovative retrofit options for masonry;
Exterior Insulation Systems (Project Overcoat)
- Airtight and cost effective roof options for 1 ½ story homes
Integrated Space and Water Heating Systems
- Optimizing efficiency of combined systems
Window Selection Guidelines
DOE Zero Energy Ready Home/Challenge Home
- Promoting the use of top energy efficient and performance measures in new construction.
Market Delivery of Performance Upgrades
- Developing strategies to encourage remodelers and homeowners to implement innovative efficiency measures
- Field studies of backdrafting protocols
- Guidelines for airtight homes
Building Science Education
- Incorporating building science in curricula for industry professionals