1390 Eckles Ave
St. Paul, MN 55108
Ph.D. (In progress) - Bioproducts and Biosystems Science, Engineering and Management (BBSEM), University of Minnesota
M.Sc. - Biotechnology of Microorganisms, University of the Andes, Merida-Venezuela, 2011
B.S. - Biology, National University of Colombia, Bogota-Colombia, 2005
My current research explores applications of microalgae in agriculture and evaluates their effects on soil structure and soil nutrient and microbial dynamics. This research is conducted in collaboration with the Agricultural Research Service-USDA in Morris, MN. In the doctoral program, I developed a growing interest in the potential of microalgae for improving the ecosystem services of agriculture, tackling food insecurity, enhancing water treatment, and as key players for climate change mitigation. I am motivated to contribute to a wider inclusion of microalgae as renewable resources in agriculture and food supply chains through research, development and technology transfer of algae-based products for soil fertility and plant growth and/or food/feed-related products that enhance the sustainability and resilience of our food and agriculture systems. My previous experience is related to biochemical characterization of bacterial and fungal enzymes with agro-industrial applications, molecular typing of bacterial isolates of epidemiological interest, cell culture and immunology, and data processing for the pharmaceutical industry.
Areas of Interest
Microalgae as renewable resources; Biomass utilization; Biobased products; Soil amendments, biofertilizers and biostimulants; Agriculture and food systems; Soil resource; Sustainability
- Alvarez, A.L., Weyers, S.L., Goemann, H.M., Peyton, B.M., & Gardner, R.D. (2021) Microalgae, soil and plants: A critical review of microalgae as renewable resources for agriculture. Algal Research, 54, 102200.
- Gesch, R.W., Matthees, H.L., Alvarez, A.L., & Gardner, R.D. (2018) Winter camelina: Crop growth, seed yield, and quality response to cultivar and seeding rate. Crop Science, 58(5), 2089-2098.
- Álvarez, A., Castro, R., Izaguirre, C., Morillo O. & García, P. (2011) Degradación y desacetilación de quitina coloidal por acción de una quitinasa bacteriana y una desacetilasa de quitina fúngica. Revista Iberoamericana de Polímeros 12(6), 300-307. Title translation: Cholloidal chitin degradation and deacetylation by the action of a bacterial chitinase and a fungal chitin deacetylase.
- Castro, R., Álvarez, A., Machado, E., Mendoza, M., Gómez, R. & García, P. (2011) Caracterización de una quitinasa extracelular producida por Serratia sp. BIOMI-363706 usando quitina coloidal como sustrato. Revista de la Sociedad Química del Perú 77(2), 101-108. Title translation: Characterization of an extracellular chitinase produced by Serratia sp. BIOMI-363706 with cholloidal chitin as substrate.
- Salve, A., Pichel, M., Wiesner, M., Hidalgo, M., Terragno, R., Álvarez, A., Agudelo, C.I., Castañeda, E. & Binsztein, N. (2006) Molecular subtyping of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi isolates from Colombia and Argentina. Foodborne pathogens and disease 3(1), 142-152.