Maria Fernanda Laguarda Mallo
Class of 2017
Enrolled Degree: Ph.D. in Bioproducts and Biosystems Science, Engineering and Management (BBSEM)
Hometown: Montevideo, Uruguay
What drives you to be a BBE Ambassador?
I like being involved with the Department, getting to know prospective students and show them what our BBE Department has to offer.
What are your long-term career goals?
I would like to work as an architect and an innovative wood construction researcher and consultant. I want to be in the cutting edge of sustainable and energy efficient residential and commercial building construction and help reduce the environmental footprint of buildings.
What is your favorite thing about our Department?
I think one of the best things about BBE is how diverse and inclusive it is.
What are your additional extracurricular activities, hobbies and/or interests:
- Researcher and Media Coordinator, Forest Products Management Development Institute - BBE Department
- Design Team Leader, Department of Energy 2017 Race to Zero Student Design Competition
- President/Founder, Graduate Gophers Lean In
- Vice-Chair, CFANS Graduate Student Board
- Treasurer, Mycology Club
- Member of the UMN Photography Club
- Member of the UMN Energy Club
I won the 2014 Graduate Revels at Northrop Photo Contest with a picture of an inky cap fungi growing on manure in a jar.