- Ph.D. - Agricultural Engineering, University of Minnesota. 1983.
- M.S. - Agricultural Engineering, University of Minnesota. 1974.
- BAgE - Agricultural Engineering, University of Minnesota. 1972.
Areas of Interest
Dr. Jacobson’s academic appointment in the Bioproducts and Biosystems Engineering Department at the University of Minnesota is divided between extension (outreach) and research. His extension title is "Extension Engineer- Livestock Housing Systems". He disseminates technical and research information on animal housing to stakeholders such as livestock producers, animal industry representatives, government agency personnel, and equipment and building suppliers. Research topics that Dr. Jacobson is presently working on includes: green housing systems for pigs, geothermal cooling and heating in a pig finishing barn, alternative energy systems and conservation for dairy and swine production, and climate change impacts on animal production. In 2013, Dr. Jacobson was selected for the 2013-2015 term, to the USDA’s Agricultural Air Quality Task Force. The task force is composed of representatives from industry, agriculture, academia, government agencies, non-governmental organizations and other agricultural and environmental experts.
- Akdeniz, N., K.A. Janni, L.D. Jacobson, B.P. Hetchler. 2011. Comparison of gas sampling bags to temporarily store hydrogen sulfide, ammonia, and greenhouse gases. Transactions of the ASABE, 54(2): 653-661.
- Harmon, J.D, Brumm, M.C., Jacobson, L.D., Pohl, S.H., Stender, D.R., and Stowell, R.R. 2012. Field Performance Evaluation of a Ventilation System: A Swine Case Study. Applied Engineering in Agriculture, ASABE. Vol. 28(2): 251-257.
- Bereznicki, S.D., A.J. Heber, R.B. Jacko, N. Akdeniz, L.D. Jacobson, B.P. Hetchler, K.Y. Heathcote, S.J. Hoff, J.A. Koziel, L. Cai, S. Zhang, D.B. Parker, E. A. Caraway. 2012. Odor and chemical emissions from dairy and swine facilities: Part 1 – Project overview and collection methods. Transactions of the ASABE, Vol. 55(6): 2325-2334.
- Akdeniz, N., L.D. Jacobson, B.P. Hetchler, S.D. Bereznicki, A.J. Heber, J.A. Koziel, L. Cai, S. Zhang, D.B. Parker. 2012. Odor and odorous chemical emissions from animal buildings: Part 2-Odor emissions. Transactions of the ASABE, Vol. 55(6): 2335-2345.
- Takai, H., S. Nimmermark, T. Banhazi, T. Norton, L.D. Jacobson, S. Calvet, M. Hassouna, B. Bjerg, G.Q. Zhang, S. Pedersen, P. Kai, K. Wang, D. Berckmans. 2013. Airborne pollutant emissions from naturally ventilated buildings: proposed research
- directions. Biosystems Engineering. 116 (2013) 214-220.
- Akdeniz, N., L.D. Jacobson, B.P. Hetchler. 2013. Health risk assessment of occupational exposure to target hazardous volatile organic compounds at swine farms. Environmental Science: Process & Impacts (previously Journal of Environmental Monitoring), 15(3):563-572 [http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlepdf/2013/em/c2em30722g].
- Earing, J.E., M.R. Hathaway, C.C. Sheaffer, B.P. Hetchler, L.D. Jacobson, J.C. Paulson, and K.L. Martinson. 2013. The effect of hay steaming on forage nutritive values and dry matter intake by horses. Journal of Animal Science. 91: 5813-5820.
- ASAE Blue Ribbon paper Award, 1985, 1994, 2002, 2006
- ASAE Nolan Mitchell Young Extension Worker Award, 1990
- Minnkota Agri-Builders & Equipment Assoc. Outstanding Achievement Award, 1991, 1994
- Minnesota Pork Producers Assoc. Swine Honor Roll Award, 1996
- Rural Builder magazine, Rural Builder Hall of Fame, 2002
- ASAE G.B. Gunlogson Countryside Engineering Award, 2004
- ASABE Fellow, 2007
- ASABE Henry Giese Structures and Environment Award, 2010
- Regional Excellence in Multi-state Research Award, Ag Exp. Station Directors, April, 2011
- U of MN CFANS Distinguished Extension/Outreach Award, May, 2012
- U of MN Extension Dean's Award for Distinguished Campus-Based Faculty, Oct, 2012
- Selected to serve on the 2013-2015 USDA Agricultural Air Quality Task Force, Aug., 2013